August has arrived, and our love for light and delicious desserts hasn’t left for even a little bit! As I was scrolling online for some sweet inspiration, I came across this simple and delicious recipe for homemade lemon blueberry crumb bars, and I immediately went to work on purchasing ingredients! When you combine the tartness of the lemons with warm blueberries, what could possibly go wrong? The crumble bakes to become a warm yet light dish that doesn’t leave you feeling heavy, but wanting a second (or third) piece!
What you’ll need to make your crumb bars:
Thank you Smitten Kitchen for the recipe!
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 cups (390 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 cup (8 ounces or 225 grams) cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1 large egg
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 375° F and grease a 9×13 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of the dough into the prepared pan.
- In another bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. (This took an extra 10 to 15 minutes in my oven.) Cool completely before cutting into squares.
These little berry beauties can be refrigerated and stored for the future and make for an excellent dish idea for your next gathering! Pair them with some iced or hot tea for an afternoon snack made for royalty!